I’m happy to report that I finally seem to be getting the hang of this Instant Pot thing! Comfortable enough that I’m venturing outside of sticking to actual recipes and actually tweaking some to fit my family’s tastes. I’ve even went as far to take conventional recipes and convert them to the Pot method if it suits it. So expect some more of those posts soon!
Last night I made Orange Chicken and it was delish!
I adapted a recipe from this one at Living Sweet Moments. This recipe had simple ingredients which I already had on hand. I did make a few changes (substituted barbecue sauce for ketchup, omitted the green onion, and used garlic powder instead of the chopped garlic to satisfy my pickiest eater).
The biggest time saver though was taking advantage of the IP’s versatility by cooking my rice at the same time, nested inside the IP on top of the chicken.
Yes!! This is a total dinner game changer for me.
Here’s what I did differently:
- I set my IP on sauté and cooked the cubed chicken for a few minutes in about a tablespoon of oil. Then I cleared out the selection (clear/cancel function) to turn off sauté mode.
- Next I mixed the sauce as directed in the original recipe (aside from my few changes noted above) and poured it over the chicken.
- I set the metal trivet that came with my IP on top of the meat and sauce.
- In a small glass bowl (I’m told you can use anything you could use in an oven) I added 1 cup of rinsed white rice and 1 cup of water, and sat the open bowl on top of the trivet. Make sure the bowl you use is small enough to fit in your IP but big enough to account for the rice expanding.
- I closed the lid on the IP, set the vent to seal and did a manual cook time of 8 minutes to give the rice adequate time to cook. The meat and sauce were still fine at this increase.
- I did a QR (quick release) on the pressure.
- You might notice the photo has broccoli but it’s not called for in the original recipe. I like broccoli but the rest of my family doesn’t. So just in case the taste would transfer, I just steamed a few pieces in the microwave for myself and added it to my plate afterwards.